Final exam 2017: Phd students enrolled in 29th cycle
Tempistiche esami finali 32 ciclo anno 2020
I am going to take my final exam. What documents do I have to present?
- In October, after the decision of the Teaching Committee, the candidates admitted to the final exam must submit:
N.B.In case of delayed payment with respect to the deadlines, in accordance with the resolution of the Board of Directors, a default indemnity of 20,00 € for the applications delivered after the date-term will be imposed.
- Request of enrolment in the final exam;
- Proof of payment of the enrolment fees (to Università degli Studi di Verona sul conto IBAN: IT65–U–05034–11750-000000011000 [Swift code per versamenti dall'estero: BAPPIT21001], Banco Popolare, Piazza Nogara 2, Verona, Reason of payment “Tassa di iscrizione all'esame finale").
During the same month the PhD students will have to send their thesis to two External Assessors appointed by the Teaching Committee, which will take note of the evaluations. It will also discuss about the release of the ISBN and the use of the logo of Verona University on the title page of the thesis (Frontespizio) and it will elect the members of the Examination Panel.
In January the Rector Decree for the nomination of the Examination Panel will be published; students have to send to each member of the Panel (full members and experts) a copy of the thesis following the modalities decided by the Coordinator/tutor (paper or e-mail) by December 15th and in any case at least one month before their defence.
The awarding of the degree certificate is subjected to the PhD student submitting his/her final thesis to the University Catalogue for free access, which will ensure it is kept and available for public consultation.
PhD students admitted to the final examination must submit their thesis in pdf format to the Research Catalogue (IRIS) at least 15 days before their thesis defence. The thesis will b3 made public within 30 days after the student’s defence, except for suspension periods that may apply to theses containing sensitive industry information and /or publication rights.
PhD students will also have to deposit their thesis in the University Research Catalogue (IRIS), within 15 days before their defence. The missed deposit causes the exclusion from the thesis defence.
What is the Doctor Europaeus certificate?
- The Doctor Europaeus Certificate refers to a label attachable to the national degree and conferred by European Universities, when the following three conditions regarding co-supervision, assessment by an international jury, multilingualism and mobility of the doctoral student have been fulfilled:
The request form can be found here.
- The thesis must have been prepared in part as a result of a research period of at least three months spent in another European country;
- The PhD student should defend his/her PhD thesis in a European official language different from Italian;
- At least one member of the Examination Committee should come from a higher education institution of another European country different from the one where the thesis is defended.
Are there guidelines to follow while writing a thesis?
- The PhD thesis must be written in Italian, English or another language previously approved by the Teaching Committee and has to be accompanied by a summary in either Italian or English. It is highly recommended for PhD students who intend to require the ISBN Code to follow the guidelines available in this section "Ph.D. Thesis defence"
How can I access the IRIS Research Catalogue in order to deposit my thesis?
- The IRIS Research Catalogue is accessible through the GIA credentials. The PhD students who have never used this system have to:
- Contact the computer technicians of their Department for the release of GIA credentials;
- Ensure that the GIA credentials are still active (if they already have the credentials but they have never used them);
- Ask the qualification for the access to the University Catalogue, sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I've lost my GIA credentials or never requested them. What shall I do?
- If you have lost or never required your GIA credentials, you have to contact the computer technicians of your Department. For further information please contact the Secretariat of your Graduate School.
Is it mandatory to deposit the PhD thesis in the Research Catalogue (IRIS)?
- Yes, the awarding of the degree certificate is subject to the PhD student submitting his/her final thesis to the Research Catalogue (IRIS) for free access, which will ensure it is kept and available to public consultation. It is responsibility of the University to submit the thesis to the national libraries of Rome and Florence and the Ministerial Database, as required by law. Failure to submit the PhD thesis to the Research Catalogue excludes the student from defencing his/her thesis.
What is the procedure to follow to make my PhD thesis to be considered a “publication” to all intends and purposes?
- If you want your thesis to become a “publication” to all intends and purposes you must apply for an ISBN.
The ISBN - International Standard Book Number – is a number that identifies a product at international level, in a univocal and long lasting way and it is bestowed to all those products created to be used as book. Through the attribution of this code hence a doctoral thesis will be considered a publication to all intents and purposes.
How to apply for the ISBN Code?
- To be entitled to use this code, interested PhD students in order to properly manage the demands of the ISBN code release, we inform you that all interested , until 25 August of the year of discussion must fill in the online form available at the link:
vai al sito
Afterwards the PHD Office will transmit these requests to the Secretary of the School who will present them to the respective Teachers Colleges for approval.
When The Office of Doctoral, received the decision of the Teachers College, starting from 20 September the office will send an email with the ISBN code to insert on the back of front page, as guidelines, After this the pdf File must be deposited in the IRIS catalog as a monograph .
Where should I place the ISBN?
- The ISBN Code on the PDF file will appear in the second page of publication and must be indicated: Title; Author; Type of publication; Place and date of insertion in the PDF Research Catalogue; ISBN Code
What do I have to do after discussing my thesis?
- After passing the final exam with the Thesis Defence, you will officially obtain the PhD Degree. The diploma will be released during the Ceremony, that take place every year, usually in October.
If you are unable to take part in it, starting from the day after the Ceremony and during the opening hours you can withdraw personally your diploma at the PhD office or delegate someone who will have to present the delegation with a copy of identification document both yours and of the person you send.